18" Steel Cranked Band Hinges - pair
A Heavy Duty Strap Hinge in Black Powdercoat Finish
This pair of steel strap hinges is a terrific option when you're looking for a heavy duty black hinge. Black powdercoat finish helps you coordinate with other hardware.
In the square hole on the strap, you insert the included carriage bolt for additional rigidity to the installation (a through-bolt). Please specify the thickness of your gate or door, so that we may send the appropriate carriage bolt length.
Details for this strap hinge hardware:
Material: Hot dipped galvanized steel with powdercoat
Finishes available: Black powdercoat
Set includes mounting hardware, including 1/2" carriage bolt (with nuts and washers)
Fits gates and doors up to 5" thick
Suitable for in-swinging and out-swinging gates, but the hinges must be installed on the side of the gate that it opens toward.
Sold as a pair (two pintles + two straps + two carriage bolts + fasteners).
Dimensions of this steel gate strap hinge:
- Strap Hinge: 18.5"l x 2"h x 3/16" thick
- Pintle Plate: 6.5"h x 1-7/8"w
- Pintle: 5/8" diameter.
Ships within 3 days
- Flush Mount. Flush mount is when the surface of the gate is flush with the surface of the post. Flush Mount has a recommended 1/8" to 1/4" gap between gate and post. "Pin Up" installation has the pintles installed pointing upward, so that you can lift off the gate or door. "Pin Down" installation has the top pintle pointing downward and the bottom pintle pointing upward, so the door or gate can't be lifted off.
- Jamb Mount. This method finds the pintle installed to the jamb. The hinge is on the surface of the gate, and the gate is snugged up to the jamb. Jamb Mount has a recommended 1/8" to 1/4" gap between gate and post. The distance from the front hinge-surface of the gate to the outer edge of post must be at least 2-3/8" (see diagram, distance "A"). "Pin Down" installation has the top pintle pointing downward and the bottom pintle pointing upward, so the door or gate can't be lifted off. "Pin Up" installation has the pintles installed pointing upward, so that you can lift off the gate or door.
- Select the thickness of the gate this will be installed on.
WarrantySnug Cottage Hardware, LLC guarantees our BPPCG product. We will replace free of charge any BPPCG product that breaks and is found defective for the life time of the original purchaser. Product must have been installed and maintained as per instructions supplied with original product. More details available here: http://www.snugcottagehardware.com/Header%20Buttons%20Pages/Snug%20Cottage%20Difference.html
ReturnsThis product can be returned in its original condition (original packaging intact, uninstalled, can be put back on the shelf directly) with a 10% restocking fee. If any effort is required to repackage or review the hardware, the restocking fee will be 25%. Customer responsible for return shipping. To initiate return, please complete the Return Form. Initiate a Return Now
1 Review Hide Reviews Show Reviews
I decided to build a gate to replace the tired one at the main entrance to my house. I'm not really a carpenter and this is my first try and thanks to your website I was able to make an informed choice and select the hinges best suited for my gate. I couldn't be happier with the product when it arrived and the final results. The sturdy handsome Hardware made for a great-looking gate.
Add A Dummy Handle for Double Gates?If you have a double gate, it’s an option to add a dummy handle to the outside of the inactive gate. The dummy handle gives a ‘finished’ and symmetrical look to the gates and provides a handle to pull and push the inactive gate with. For gates that will be used frequently by people who aren’t familiar with the gate: dummy handles can also cause confusion because a visitor doesn’t know which handle is operable.
Add A Gate Stop?A gate stop is needed on all gates. The stops that we have are attached to the gate and catch on the post when the gate is pushed closed. The stop maintains the proper alignment so that the latch can latch, but won’t be damaged if the gate is slammed.
Add Jar of Touch-Up PaintEach cranked band strap hinge comes with a carriage bolt, which is installed through the hinge and through the door/gate. These bolts have a silver finish. At installation, you can paint the carriage bolt’s head black with optional touch-up paint.
Add Cane Bolt?A cane bolt is needed when you have a double gate set. The cane bolt holds the inactive gate down to the ground. It can also be used to hold a gate open. Sometimes two cane bolts are used on double gates (one on each gate) so the gates can be held open (in the case of a driveway gate, for example).
BacksetThe backset is the distance from the edge of the door or gate to the centerpoint of the through-hole of the hardware. Dummy handles do not require a backset.
Deadbolts can be either “single cylinder” or “double cylinder”. Single means there is a key hole on the outside and a thumbturn on the inside. Double means there is a key hole on both sides of the deadbolt.
Door thicknessRefer to the range of acceptable thicknesses on the product description, and then choose your door’s thickness. Try to choose a thickness within 1/8” of your actual thickness.
When you need a dummy handle, you’ll need to choose which side to order. There are two options: Left and Right. Refer to the image below to determine your dummy handle.
Extension Kit for Gates up to 3.5"These latches fit gates up to 2-1/2” with the standard tongue. With the addition of an extended tongue piece, you can fit a gate or door up to 3-1/2” thick.
Gate ThicknessRefer to the range of acceptable thicknesses on the product description, and then choose your gate’s thickness. Try to choose a thickness within 1/8” of your actual thickness.
HingeA number of hinge options are available. Butt hinges work on gates that are ~6 feet high and 42” wide. A thicker gate can use a bigger butt hinge than a thinner gate. If the gate or door is wider than 48”, you should choose a strap hinge.
Interior Door FunctionWhen you need a dummy handle, you’ll need to choose which side to order. There are two options: Left and Right. Refer to the image below to determine your dummy handle.
- Passage Function: Passage or Hall and Closet Lever Handles are used on doors that do not require a locking mechanism. Halls, closets, pantry or laundry doors will generally use a passage leverset. Passage levers do not have a locking mechanism.
- Privacy Function: Privacy Hardware are most often used on Bedrooms, Baths or Office doors where a lock for privacy while occupied is desired, but a keyed lock is not really necessary. Emtek privacy levers have a push button on the rosette or backplate as shown to the left to activate the lock. On the outside, there is a pin hole for emergency unlocking. Some levers will have a pin hole inside a circular piece, some just have a small pinhole.
- Dummy Function: Emtek Double Dummy Door Knobs are sold in pairs. Dummy knobs do not have a latch or mechanism of any kind. These door knobs are surface mounted to a door that has not been bored (large hole cut out). Dummy knobs are generally used on double doors that us a ball catch at the top to keep them closed so a latch is not required. They are also commonly found on the inactive side of a french door - a single dummy mounted on either side of the inactive door.
Key All Deadbolts Alike?If you’re ordering two or more deadbolts, you have the option to use the same key for both, so that you don’t have to use separate keys. If you’re ordering one deadbolt choose “Single Lock or Not Keyed Alike.”
Mortise Lock Type
Rosette StyleThe rosette is the plate portion of your hardware. Choose the rosette that works best for the style you desire.
Screw Shape & LengthHex head screws are made of stainless steel and finished dark to coordinate with the hardware. Square head screws are made of a rust-resistant material (not stainless) and finished dark to coordinate with the hardware. If you’re in a coastal area, choosing the hex head fasteners is the best choice.
Standing in Front of the Gate, Which Way Does It Swing?This gate latch is handed one direction or the other. For single gates, you can answer the handing questions from either side of the gate as long you answer both questions standing in the same position. For double gates: answer the handing question for the active gate (the one that will have the latch installed).
Standing in the same position, what side is the gate hinged on?This gate latch is handed one direction or the other. For single gates, you can answer the handing questions from either side of the gate as long you answer both questions standing in the same position. For double gates: answer the handing question for the active gate (the one that will have the latch installed).
Type of Strike
Surface strike: will be installed to the face of the post (or the face of the second gate if this is a double gate).
Mortise strike: will be installed the inner edge of the post (or the edge of the second gate if this is a double gate).