18" Steel Cranked Band Hinges - pair
A Heavy Duty Strap Hinge in Black Powdercoat Finish
This pair of steel strap hinges is a terrific option when you're looking for a heavy duty black hinge. Black powdercoat finish helps you coordinate with other hardware.
In the square hole on the strap, you insert the included carriage bolt for additional rigidity to the installation (a through-bolt). Please specify the thickness of your gate or door, so that we may send the appropriate carriage bolt length.
Details for this strap hinge hardware:
Material: Hot dipped galvanized steel with powdercoat
Finishes available: Black powdercoat (NOTE: Steel rusts almost immediately so the hinges go through a process called Hot Dip Galvanized. This is a very thick silver-colored mixture and each part is dipped into it until it’s fully coated and then pulled out. In the curing process, the HDG dries in varying thicknesses - this is a natural and expected feature of the HDG coating process. Then, the hinges are powder coated black for an additional layer of protection, as well as to provide a finish that matches other hardware. The hot dip galvanized surface finish is not considered a flaw. It is not possible to create a uniformly smooth hot dip galvanized finish.)
Set includes mounting hardware, including 1/2" carriage bolt (with nuts and washers)
Fits gates and doors up to 5" thick
Suitable for in-swinging and out-swinging gates, but the hinges must be installed on the side of the gate that it opens toward.
Sold as a pair (two pintles + two straps + two carriage bolts + fasteners).
Dimensions of this steel gate strap hinge:
- Strap Hinge: 18.5"l x 2"h x 3/16" thick
- Pintle Plate: 6.5"h x 1-7/8"w
- Pintle: 5/8" diameter.
- Flush Mount. Flush mount is when the surface of the gate is flush with the surface of the post. Flush Mount has a recommended 1/8" to 1/4" gap between gate and post. "Pin Up" installation has the pintles installed pointing upward, so that you can lift off the gate or door. "Pin Down" installation has the top pintle pointing downward and the bottom pintle pointing upward, so the door or gate can't be lifted off.
- Jamb Mount. This method finds the pintle installed to the jamb. The hinge is on the surface of the gate, and the gate is snugged up to the jamb. Jamb Mount has a recommended 1/8" to 1/4" gap between gate and post. The distance from the front hinge-surface of the gate to the outer edge of post must be at least 2-3/8" (see diagram, distance "A"). "Pin Down" installation has the top pintle pointing downward and the bottom pintle pointing upward, so the door or gate can't be lifted off. "Pin Up" installation has the pintles installed pointing upward, so that you can lift off the gate or door.
- Select the thickness of the gate this will be installed on.
Cutsheet available here.
Take a look at the Gate Hardware section of our blog for helpful suggestions.
Please review our Resources page for general information about all our products.
Warranty & Return Information
WarrantySnug Cottage Hardware, LLC guarantees our BPPCG product. We will replace free of charge any BPPCG product that breaks and is found defective for the life time of the original purchaser. Product must have been installed and maintained as per instructions supplied with original product. More details available here.
Non-custom merchandise is returnable or exchangeable within 30 days of delivery. We charge a 15% restocking fee for returns (nothing for exchanges). Products must be received in original, uninstalled condition.
Custom-produced items (stone doorbells, address plaques) and are not returnable.
The return process in a nutshell:
- – Request a return and receive an RGA e-mail with instructions.
- – You’ll ship back the product(s) you want to return.
- – When product(s) is received, we’ll confirm product is undamaged and resellable.
- – Refund, less 15% restocking fee, will be issued.
To receive a full refund, the original item MUST be in new condition and returned:
- Still in sealed plastic packaging inside product boxes (as originally received)
- Without dirt or sawdust
- Without damage to product finish from incomplete protection during shipment
All returned items are thoroughly inspected, and any item(s) returned in a condition deemed as no longer sellable will not be refunded.Initiate a Return Now
Shipping & Lead Time
Review our shipping rates and policies for more information.