16" Stainless Steel 316 Cranked Band Hinges
A Lift-Off Hinge in Brushed Matte Finish
This pair of stainless steel strap hinges is a terrific option when you're looking for a clean, contemporary hinge. These hinges can be used for carriage house doors, shed doors, or gates. they fit doors and gates with a maximum thickness of 5".
In the square hole on the strap, you insert the included stainless steel (grade 18-8) carriage bolt for additional rigidity to the installation (a through-bolt).
This is a called a lift-off hinge because once installed, the gate or door can be lifted off the pintles if needed. If you'd like to prevent the gate being lifted off, simply install the upper pintle facing down.
These stainless steel hinges are made of marine grade 316 stainless which offers the best in rust resistance. Also available in stainless steel with black powdercoat.
Details for this strap hinge hardware:
- Material: 316 Stainless Steel
- Finishes available: Brushed Matte Stainless
- Set includes mounting hardware, including stainless steel carriage bolt (with nuts and washers) and #12 x 2" stainless steel wood screws
- Fits gates and doors up to 5" thick
- Suitable for in-swinging and out-swinging gates, but the hinges must be installed on the side of the gate that it opens toward.
- Sold as a pair (two pintles + two straps).
Dimensions of this stainless steel hinge:
- Strap Hinge: 16"l x 1.5"h
- Pintle: 5.25"h x 1.5"w x 1/2"diameter.
Ships within 1 week
- Select the thickness of the gate this will be installed on.
Please find links to where you can purchase different sizes and quantity sets in the Alternate Configurations section below.
- 12" Heavy Duty Cranked Band Strap Hinges (Black Finish)
- 12" Heavy Duty Cranked Band Strap Hinges (Black) - Set of 3
- 16" Stainless Steel 316 Grade Heavy Duty Strap Hinges (Pair)
- 16" Stainless Steel 316 Grade Heavy Duty Strap Hinges (Set of 3)
- 16" Stainless Steel Heavy Duty Strap Hinges (Pair) (Black)
- 16" Stainless Steel Heavy Duty Strap Hinges (Set of 3) (Black)
- 18" Heavy Duty Cranked Band Strap Hinges (Black Finish)
- 18" Heavy Duty Cranked Band Strap Hinges (Black) - Set of 3
- 24" Heavy Duty Cranked Band Strap Hinges (Black Finish)
- 24" Heavy Duty Cranked Band Strap Hinges (Black) - Set of 3
- 24" Stainless Steel 316 Grade Heavy Duty Strap Hinges (Pair)
- 24" Stainless Steel 316 Grade Heavy Duty Strap Hinges (Set of 3)
- 24" Stainless Steel Heavy Duty Strap Hinges (Pair) (Black)
- 24" Stainless Steel Heavy Duty Strap Hinges (Set of 3) (Black)
Interested in more info about strap hinges? Read about tips and installation here.
To learn more about stainless steel hardware, care, and maintenance, visit our help page.
Read More About 360 Yardware:
At 360 Yardware, we offer "360 Degrees of Outdoor Decor." We chose the term yardware to describe anything a person would need to enhance the outside of their home. Our products are not simply for function, they are an architectural complement to the home.
We have everything you need to replace your old Fence and Gate Hardware. If you have a Wooden Gate or need a Replacement Latch, we offer Gate Latches, Deadbolt Latches, Gate Hinges, Hinge Fronts, and other Ornamental Gate Hardware. We've also combined many of our products into gate hardware sets and value packages.
Our Wooden Gate Latches selection offers something for everyone. If Antique Gate Closures are your style, we carry Cast Iron Hardware and Iron Gate Latches that look like historic and more traditional gate latches. Even better, there are now Aluminum Gate Latches--in the same styles as the antique gate latches--which are rust-resistant and suitable for coastal areas. Our line of Cast Bronze Gate Latches: durable, substantial, and that will age gracefully with no rusting over time. We’ve recently introduced our own collection of Contemporary and Modern gate latches made from stainless steel and rust-resistant aluminum. These latches are all spring-loaded for excellent function, as well as designed to fit the more contemporary style. A few of the latches we offer are versatile in their styling, so they can be used at homes with traditional, antique, contemporary, Japanese, or Spanish aesthetics.
Outdoor gate hardware falls into several types of gate latches: thumb latches, ring latches, lever latches, and bolt latches. Each operates slightly differently and brings a different aesthetic to your gate hardware installation. The categories of gate latches include spring loaded, bolt latches, and gravity latches.
We discuss all of these factors and more at our informational blog entry titled Gate Latch Information Series.
Take a look at the Gate Hardware section of our blog for helpful suggestions.
View or Download a cutsheet for the hinge on our Technical Information Page.
Please review our Resources page for general information about all our products.
WarrantySnug Cottage Hardware, LLC guarantees our BPPCG product. We will replace free of charge any BPPCG product that breaks and is found defective for the life time of the original purchaser. Product must have been installed and maintained as per instructions supplied with original product. More details available here: http://www.snugcottagehardware.com/Header%20Buttons%20Pages/Snug%20Cottage%20Difference.html
ReturnsThis product can be returned in its original condition (original packaging intact, uninstalled, can be put back on the shelf directly) with a 10% restocking fee. If any effort is required to repackage or review the hardware, the restocking fee will be 25%. Customer responsible for return shipping. To initiate return, please complete the Return Form. Initiate a Return Now
Add A Dummy Handle for Double Gates?If you have a double gate, it’s an option to add a dummy handle to the outside of the inactive gate. The dummy handle gives a ‘finished’ and symmetrical look to the gates and provides a handle to pull and push the inactive gate with. For gates that will be used frequently by people who aren’t familiar with the gate: dummy handles can also cause confusion because a visitor doesn’t know which handle is operable.
Add A Gate Stop?A gate stop is needed on all gates. The stops that we have are attached to the gate and catch on the post when the gate is pushed closed. The stop maintains the proper alignment so that the latch can latch, but won’t be damaged if the gate is slammed.
Add Jar of Touch-Up PaintEach cranked band strap hinge comes with a carriage bolt, which is installed through the hinge and through the door/gate. These bolts have a silver finish. At installation, you can paint the carriage bolt’s head black with optional touch-up paint.
Add Cane Bolt?A cane bolt is needed when you have a double gate set. The cane bolt holds the inactive gate down to the ground. It can also be used to hold a gate open. Sometimes two cane bolts are used on double gates (one on each gate) so the gates can be held open (in the case of a driveway gate, for example).
Add Faux Butt Hinge?These decorative strap hinges have an optional piece, the Faux Butt Hinge. When you install it, it makes for a larger appearing hinge. All parts are still decorative.
BacksetThe backset is the distance from the edge of the door or gate to the centerpoint of the through-hole of the hardware. Dummy handles do not require a backset.
Deadbolts can be either “single cylinder” or “double cylinder”. Single means there is a key hole on the outside and a thumbturn on the inside. Double means there is a key hole on both sides of the deadbolt.
Do you need concealed fasteners?On Emtek’s door hardware you have the option for concealed fasteners. Rather than seeing the screws on the interior side of the hardware, the concealed fasteners allow you to have finished appearance on both sides.
Door thicknessRefer to the range of acceptable thicknesses on the product description, and then choose your door’s thickness. Try to choose a thickness within 1/8” of your actual thickness.
When you need a dummy handle, you’ll need to choose which side to order. There are two options: Left and Right. Refer to the image below to determine your dummy handle.
Extension Kit for Gates up to 3.5"These latches fit gates up to 2-1/2” with the standard tongue. With the addition of an extended tongue piece, you can fit a gate or door up to 3-1/2” thick.
Gate ThicknessRefer to the range of acceptable thicknesses on the product description, and then choose your gate’s thickness. Try to choose a thickness within 1/8” of your actual thickness.
HingeA number of hinge options are available. Butt hinges work on gates that are ~6 feet high and 42” wide. A thicker gate can use a bigger butt hinge than a thinner gate. If the gate or door is wider than 48”, you should choose a strap hinge.
Interior Door FunctionWhen you need a dummy handle, you’ll need to choose which side to order. There are two options: Left and Right. Refer to the image below to determine your dummy handle.
- Passage Function: Passage or Hall and Closet Lever Handles are used on doors that do not require a locking mechanism. Halls, closets, pantry or laundry doors will generally use a passage leverset. Passage levers do not have a locking mechanism.
- Privacy Function: Privacy Hardware are most often used on Bedrooms, Baths or Office doors where a lock for privacy while occupied is desired, but a keyed lock is not really necessary. Emtek privacy levers have a push button on the rosette or backplate as shown to the left to activate the lock. On the outside, there is a pin hole for emergency unlocking. Some levers will have a pin hole inside a circular piece, some just have a small pinhole.
- Dummy Function: Emtek Double Dummy Door Knobs are sold in pairs. Dummy knobs do not have a latch or mechanism of any kind. These door knobs are surface mounted to a door that has not been bored (large hole cut out). Dummy knobs are generally used on double doors that us a ball catch at the top to keep them closed so a latch is not required. They are also commonly found on the inactive side of a french door - a single dummy mounted on either side of the inactive door.
Key All Deadbolts Alike?If you’re ordering two or more deadbolts, you have the option to use the same key for both, so that you don’t have to use separate keys. If you’re ordering one deadbolt choose “Single Lock or Not Keyed Alike.”
Mortise Lock Type
Rosette StyleThe rosette is the plate portion of your hardware. Choose the rosette that works best for the style you desire.
Screw Shape & LengthHex head screws are made of stainless steel and finished dark to coordinate with the hardware. Square head screws are made of a rust-resistant material (not stainless) and finished dark to coordinate with the hardware. If you’re in a coastal area, choosing the hex head fasteners is the best choice.
Standing in Front of the Gate, Which Way Does It Swing?This gate latch is handed one direction or the other. For single gates, you can answer the handing questions from either side of the gate as long you answer both questions standing in the same position. For double gates: answer the handing question for the active gate (the one that will have the latch installed).
Standing in the same position, what side is the gate hinged on?This gate latch is handed one direction or the other. For single gates, you can answer the handing questions from either side of the gate as long you answer both questions standing in the same position. For double gates: answer the handing question for the active gate (the one that will have the latch installed).
Type of Strike
Surface strike: will be installed to the face of the post (or the face of the second gate if this is a double gate).
Mortise strike: will be installed the inner edge of the post (or the edge of the second gate if this is a double gate).