Alta Modern Gate Latch - Latching Side Only
The Alta Contemporary Modern Stainless Steel Gate Latch is a lovely modern gate latch. This listing is for just the latching side + strike plate, for single-sided applications.
Gate swing direction and exact gate thickness required with order. This is the latching side only, for one-sided application like a trash enclosure or a short gate.
The Alta Contemporary Lever Latch is proudly made in Portland, Oregon, USA. Your purchase supports a small business and we appreciate it!
Details for this gate latch
Material: 316 Stainless Steel
Finishes available: Brushed Stainless
Set includes mounting hardware
Fits gates of any thickness.
Operable from one side.
Suitable for in-swinging and out-swinging gates. On out-swinging gates, the latch will be installed on the exterior of the gate.
Handing required with order.
Lockable with added deadbolt.
Dimensions of this stainless steel latch
- Plate: 3-1/2"w x 4-1/2"h
- Handle: 4-3/4"l x 3/4"w x 3/4"d
- Latch-arm length: 3-1/2" from center to end; arm extends 1-7/8"" past edge of plate.
- Strike: 3-1/4"h x 1-1/2"w x 3/16" thick
- Handle Projection: 2-3/8"
- We offer a coordinating brushed stainless steel deadbolt for a complete ensemble. Deadbolts are available in either single or double cylinder, depending on your needs.
- For any gate over 2-1/8" thick (for single cylinder) and 1-7/8" thick (for double cylinder), you'll need to add an extension kit.With an extension kit, the single cylinder deadbolt fits gates up to 2-3/4" thick, while the double cylinder deadbolt will fit gates up to 2-1/4" thick.
- We've also added a Deadbolt for Thick Gates and Doors that will accommodate doors and gates up to 5-1/2" thick.
- We offer a set of three 4x4 stainless steel (grade 316) heavy duty butt hinges that complements the latch well.
- All wooden gates need a gate stop installed. If you're having a new gate built, be sure your gate provider makes and installs a wooden gate stop for your gate. Gate stops prevent hinge, latch, and gate damage and prolong gate life. What is a gate stop? Gate stops are typically made of wood running the entire length of the gate. They are attached to the jamb or post in such a way that prevents the latch bar/hinges/gate from taking the force of the gate closing (instead the gate stop takes the force). If you don't have a gate stop on your gate, you need one! If no gate stop is installed on a gate, and the hinges or latch fail from the stress of that, no replacement will be given. 360 Yardware offers a coordinating "L"-shaped brushed stainless steel gate stop.
- If you're looking for gate latches for double gates, the Alta Gate Latch Package for Double Gates is available. The package includes a gate latch set for the operable gate, a dummy handle for the fixed gate, a set of six heavy duty gate hinges, and a stainless steel gate stop.
ResourcesView or Download a cutsheet of the Alta Latch at our Technical Information Page.
Product ImagesWe're always looking for new photos of our hardware installed on your projects! Send us your photos for a chance to win $100 off your next order!
Warranty360 Yardware warrants this hardware to be free of defects in material and craftsmanship for two years from the original invoice date.
ReturnsThis product can be returned in its original condition (original packaging intact, uninstalled, can be put back on the shelf directly) with a 10% restocking fee. If any effort is required to repackage or review the hardware, the restocking fee will be 25%. Customer responsible for return shipping. To initiate return, please complete the Return Form. Initiate a Return Now
Add A Dummy Handle for Double Gates?If you have a double gate, it’s an option to add a dummy handle to the outside of the inactive gate. The dummy handle gives a ‘finished’ and symmetrical look to the gates and provides a handle to pull and push the inactive gate with. For gates that will be used frequently by people who aren’t familiar with the gate: dummy handles can also cause confusion because a visitor doesn’t know which handle is operable.
Add A Gate Stop?A gate stop is needed on all gates. The stops that we have are attached to the gate and catch on the post when the gate is pushed closed. The stop maintains the proper alignment so that the latch can latch, but won’t be damaged if the gate is slammed.
Add Jar of Touch-Up PaintEach cranked band strap hinge comes with a carriage bolt, which is installed through the hinge and through the door/gate. These bolts have a silver finish. At installation, you can paint the carriage bolt’s head black with optional touch-up paint.
Add Cane Bolt?A cane bolt is needed when you have a double gate set. The cane bolt holds the inactive gate down to the ground. It can also be used to hold a gate open. Sometimes two cane bolts are used on double gates (one on each gate) so the gates can be held open (in the case of a driveway gate, for example).
BacksetThe backset is the distance from the edge of the door or gate to the centerpoint of the through-hole of the hardware. Dummy handles do not require a backset.
Deadbolts can be either “single cylinder” or “double cylinder”. Single means there is a key hole on the outside and a thumbturn on the inside. Double means there is a key hole on both sides of the deadbolt.
Door thicknessRefer to the range of acceptable thicknesses on the product description, and then choose your door’s thickness. Try to choose a thickness within 1/8” of your actual thickness.
When you need a dummy handle, you’ll need to choose which side to order. There are two options: Left and Right. Refer to the image below to determine your dummy handle.
Extension Kit for Gates up to 3.5"These latches fit gates up to 2-1/2” with the standard tongue. With the addition of an extended tongue piece, you can fit a gate or door up to 3-1/2” thick.
Gate ThicknessRefer to the range of acceptable thicknesses on the product description, and then choose your gate’s thickness. Try to choose a thickness within 1/8” of your actual thickness.
HingeA number of hinge options are available. Butt hinges work on gates that are ~6 feet high and 42” wide. A thicker gate can use a bigger butt hinge than a thinner gate. If the gate or door is wider than 48”, you should choose a strap hinge.
Interior Door FunctionWhen you need a dummy handle, you’ll need to choose which side to order. There are two options: Left and Right. Refer to the image below to determine your dummy handle.
- Passage Function: Passage or Hall and Closet Lever Handles are used on doors that do not require a locking mechanism. Halls, closets, pantry or laundry doors will generally use a passage leverset. Passage levers do not have a locking mechanism.
- Privacy Function: Privacy Hardware are most often used on Bedrooms, Baths or Office doors where a lock for privacy while occupied is desired, but a keyed lock is not really necessary. Emtek privacy levers have a push button on the rosette or backplate as shown to the left to activate the lock. On the outside, there is a pin hole for emergency unlocking. Some levers will have a pin hole inside a circular piece, some just have a small pinhole.
- Dummy Function: Emtek Double Dummy Door Knobs are sold in pairs. Dummy knobs do not have a latch or mechanism of any kind. These door knobs are surface mounted to a door that has not been bored (large hole cut out). Dummy knobs are generally used on double doors that us a ball catch at the top to keep them closed so a latch is not required. They are also commonly found on the inactive side of a french door - a single dummy mounted on either side of the inactive door.
Key All Deadbolts Alike?If you’re ordering two or more deadbolts, you have the option to use the same key for both, so that you don’t have to use separate keys. If you’re ordering one deadbolt choose “Single Lock or Not Keyed Alike.”
Mortise Lock Type
Rosette StyleThe rosette is the plate portion of your hardware. Choose the rosette that works best for the style you desire.
Screw Shape & LengthHex head screws are made of stainless steel and finished dark to coordinate with the hardware. Square head screws are made of a rust-resistant material (not stainless) and finished dark to coordinate with the hardware. If you’re in a coastal area, choosing the hex head fasteners is the best choice.
Standing in Front of the Gate, Which Way Does It Swing?This gate latch is handed one direction or the other. For single gates, you can answer the handing questions from either side of the gate as long you answer both questions standing in the same position. For double gates: answer the handing question for the active gate (the one that will have the latch installed).
Standing in the same position, what side is the gate hinged on?This gate latch is handed one direction or the other. For single gates, you can answer the handing questions from either side of the gate as long you answer both questions standing in the same position. For double gates: answer the handing question for the active gate (the one that will have the latch installed).
Type of Strike
Surface strike: will be installed to the face of the post (or the face of the second gate if this is a double gate).
Mortise strike: will be installed the inner edge of the post (or the edge of the second gate if this is a double gate).